Sunday 25 November 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Signing Off: The 7 Golden Rules of Style


Golden Rules of Style
Golden Rules of Style
Readers,
It’s been a marvelous two years gabbing about style with you. From the beauty products I’ve been obsessed with (did I mention how much I love Lancome Hypnose mascara enough times? What about Dior Lip Addict?), to my tried-and-true tips for putting together outfits… I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. But today, after nearly 500 posts, I am signing off.
How do you recap two years in one single blog post? You don’t. You can’t. I won’t try to rehash everything I’ve shared. Instead of packing what I’ve taught into a few hundred words, I’m going to share what you — by allowing me to write here, every single day, commenting, reading my posts — have taught me.
Here’s what I’ve learned. One last time. Here are my current seven golden rules of style, in this ever-evolving world of fashion. Enjoy.
Oh, and thank you for the lessons.

1. Style doesn’t fit in a box. What one person thinks looks amazing, someone else might not care for. Style is wearing what you love, and owning it. Genius can be interesting, different, insane, daring, classic or all of the above. Appreciate different takes on style, and you’ll develop a more rounded one yourself. Each day, week, and month, I try to immerse myself in new kinds of style and find new style heroines.
2. Style and fashion should be considered two different things. Fashion is what’s on the runway and what’s in the magazines. Style is what you do with fashion. I’d rather be stylish than fashionable. Wouldn’t you?
3. Style should make you feel good. If you don’t feel good in that jumpsuit, those jeans, or that dress… then what’s the point? Make sure you’re using style to build confidence and feel your absolute best every morning. I’m getting better about that, about only wearing what makes me feel darn fabulous. People will notice when you do.
4. Style should never be copied. Sometimes, I look at a blogger or celeb and think, “That looks GREAT on her. I wish I looked like that.” But then I remember that I have my own distinct style, and what looks good on her won’t look the same on me. Outfits look different on every single person, because no body type is exactly the same. Instead, I try to pull elements of looks that I love into my personal style. Admire, emulate a little. Don’t copy.
5. Style should showcase the girl, not the clothes. Want to know when someone’s truly hit a style bull’s eye? You barely notice the outfit. You just look at the girl and get that “WOW, she looks great — we need to be BFFs!” feeling. If I look in the mirror and notice my clothes too much, I know the outfit is not me. I try, try again.
6. Style should feel effortless, but should take effort. No matter how savvy a dresser you are, it still takes effort to look good. It should get easier as you hone your style, and the ultimate goal should be the “I just threw this together, I just knew this would look awesome” type of look, but effortless always takes effort. Hair doesn’t do itself. Clothes don’t arrange themselves into an outfit. Make-up doesn’t apply itself. Always put effort into your style, and you’ll feel better. From the bottom of my heart, from experience, I promise.
7. Break the rules. If you like it, I don’t care who tells you not to wear that neon top or pair of harem pants. Rock. It. Out. And then watch the crazy envious stares of people who wish they were as stylish as you.
xo,
Jenna
What are your golden rules of style?

No comments:

Post a Comment